Friday, March 4, 2016

Embossed Paper for Fidgeting

Yesterday I asked the technician for our Vision Department if she had any embossed paper handy I could check out for interesting textures & patterns. She had some thick, white sheets from the geometry handouts, filled with all kinds of triangles, squares and circles and I thought that would be interesting for some of my texture-hungry students to keep at their desks for quiet fidgeting.
 
However...
 
in one of my autism classes this morning I found another source of embossed paper.  The high school student who volunteers in the classroom on Friday mornings offered to teach me how to use the embossing machine and helped me get over my fear that I might break it.
It took about 60 seconds to make these 4" x 6" embossed papers, using the donated paper and tools on hand.  The textures are irrestible.
I can hardly keep my fingertips from exploring the dotted swiss paper and clustered teardrops in the chrysanthemum pattern--imagine how that might be oh-so-fascinating for some students.

Update:  I started thinking about my target student; she will probably finger the textured paper so much that it will quickly tear apart.  What to do?

Frame 'em.  The lightweight, embossed paper is now surrounded by cardboard "frames," made from recycled cardboard and leftover duct tape from another project.
The student does not pick at tape or enjoy taking things apart.  This just might work for her.

Why two colors of duct tape?  Why not--it increases the visual appeal, don't ya think?

Thanks to Ms. C and Ms. R who shared their "stash" of paper with me, and to the student volunteer who is headed out of the country to do more volunteer work during her school break.  I should tell her more about occupational therapy as a career...
 

No comments: