Friday, September 9, 2011

String Art Idea for Highschoolers with Autism

It was like Homecoming for me today--got to go to my favorite idea-generating store near my office--Big Lots.  I've had withdrawal over the summer since I was in the habit of cruising their aisles at least once a month.

Looking for materials to use with students I saw a skein of soft, variegated color baby binkie yarn and my brain started churning--how about getting started on that string art idea from last year with the high school class for students with autism?  Tonight the idea percolated a bit further and I thought, "How about having the art students draw a bold picture of something related to the school, and then the students in the autism class could set in the tiny nails and begin weaving the yarn into a string art picture?"  Talk about good PR for special education at the school.  Well, I can dream.

The beauty of all this which makes it somewhat do-able is that one of the teachers for students with autism is also an artist.  She can make it happen.  If it does happen, I'll post photos of the process.

No comments: