Monday, December 14, 2009

Sometimes words are not enough











Lately, I've been adding photos to my observation and evaluation reports, to better provide the families and school staff with a clear explanation of a student's current skills and progress over time. You sure don't want to have to explain hyperextension of the DIP or what thumb wrap entails in 25 words or less.

Having the photos on hand also helps when it comes time to create handouts for parents and school personnel. Remember to edit out faces and names to ensure the privacy of your students.

Here are some recent photos taken in a class for 3-5 year olds--I'll leave the nomenclature to you...




2 comments:

Kellie said...

That's a GREAT idea! I've thought about doing it and just hadn't--have you had good feedback from parents and school staff? --School OT, Austin, TX

School System Occupational Therapist in Virginia said...

Thx for your comment. School staff like it because the photos make things clearer. Parents love seeing their children's photos on a report, even if it's just their fingers. If I include a photo in a report I make sure there's a current, signed permission slip by the parents for photos in the student's cumulative file. Sometimes I copy it and put it in the OT working file...